Monday, January 21, 2013

Clamshell

The best laid plans of mice and men...

I had planned to head home from work right away on Friday and get to sewing my Clamshell Pillow.

But...

Marks are due today at 9:00 am for my grade 12 class so I had to finish marking a ton of tests. Then I had to enter all those marks into the computer. Then I had to finalize all marks in the computer. Then there was paperwork to do for a couple of kids who dropped the course earlier in the semester. Then I had to print out mark spreadsheets. It was 5:20 by the time I left work and, because of a silly accident, 6:00 pm when I finally arrived home.

Then the OnlyChild pleaded with me to take her to the mall. Oh, you know, my favourite place. She did well - a dress, two sweaters, a top and I think something else for $70 - all on sale - and she *forgot* her bank card so guess who paid...? Sigh.

Saturday morning included cleaning, then dance class.

Ahhhh...Saturday afternoon was mine.


So, the story behind the Clamshell Pillow (there is always a story):

You can see in the top left that I had the shells all laid out and ready to go. Well, somewhere in there, I managed to turn around the base fabric (which was marked for placement) and ended up sewing the shells down the wrong way. Of course, I didn't notice this until after the first row had been fused and sewn. So I had to add a couple of extra rows to fill in all the white space. No big problem. I still love it. And it looks so good with my Swoon quilt because I used some leftover Ruby fabric to make it.

This was my third project for the Curves Class by Stitched in Color. I'm really enjoying this.

Yesterday I had planned to work on the Christmas Strings quilt. Becky from Sarcastic Quilter sent me some Christmas fabric that was perfect for the backing.


I made a backing from the two heart fabrics and got it all basted and ready to quilt yesterday. Then I remembered that I had a function to attend and had to leave around 5:00 pm. That meant I had to abandon all thoughts of quilting and make myself presentable. I guess quilting Christmas Strings will have to wait. My goal is to get it done before the end of the month! 

If I do that, I can start something new...



8 comments:

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Hoje éo Dia Internacional do Abraço.Você merece alguns abraços meus,obrigada por deixar saber e aprender com você.Beijos do Brasil.

Thimbleanna said...

That's the way! We must dangle a carrot as an incentive to finish our UFO's LOL. LOVE that clamshell pillow -- I really want to do a whole clamshell quilt!

Stacy said...

Love the clam shell pillow. It's so pretty and colorful. I share your distaste for malls ... thank goodness for online shopping.

Lynne said...

Oh dear, but I'm glad that it all worked out in the end!

I don't miss all that marking and paper work one little bit!

andsewon said...

Lovely! I have a clam shell my great Gram made!My pal Alice and I joke some on shopping in each others stash!Sure your Christmas string quilt will be done in time!;-)

John'aLee said...

Oh those are just adorable! And the colors so yummy in both the clam shells and set of fabrics!

Kathleen O'Grady said...

I just found your blog through Heather & Megan at Quilt Story and am so happy I did. I love your clam shell pillow it is beautiful, great colors. Looking forward to more of your blog. Happy sewing!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

That clamshell pillow is to die for. So cute! I will have to look into something like that. But sewing curves... gives me the shivers!