Sunday, October 24, 2010

Antiquing

I just got back from my road trip. I went to a workshop down south and stayed for the weekend with my friend Kim and her two sweet little girls. We had such a good time visiting!

The workshop on Friday was great - very informative and interesting. The speaker was also hilarious, which always keeps me awake.

After school, we went to ballet lessons (and I ran into a former student, which was kind of neat).

Then we went to a quilt store.

Supper was dill pickle soup. Amazing!

Saturday, we went to gymnastics, and shopping at Winners for Halloween stuff, and then out to brunch.

Then... we went to an antique sale.

I bought an old iron.



And some old milk bottles for my button collection.


Here they are displayed together in my sewing room.


I bought an antique typewriter for the OnlyChild. She's been wanting one for a while.


She's already done some internet research on it to find out when it was made. It had to have been manufactured before 1930, according to her information, and most likely sometime in the 1920s.


Ask me how much I paid for it. Go on... how much do you think?

I also picked up these old Christmas lights for Mr. P. He loves retro Christmas decorations. I don't know if they work, but for $2 a box, I thought it was worth a try.


After antiquing, we all headed to the playground at the lake. It was so beautiful there, but a bit chilly. The girls didn't mind as they were running around all over the place. Winter is on its way!

After the playground, we all put on our pajamas and Kim and I were treated to some hair-styling while we flaked out in front of the t.v., courtesy of the two cutest little stylists around. It feels soooo good to have my hair brushed.

Today, after some pancakes, a bit of crafting, and a shopping trip to Costco, it was time to make the long trip (5 hour drive) home. It was such a fun weekend, but I'm exhausted. Who knew a 3-year-old and a 5-year-old had so much energy? But I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

The typewriter, by the way, cost me a cool $20. No kidding. And it works.

6 comments:

Barb said...

oooooooo I love your antiquing....just wonderful!!

Pat said...

Sounds like a great weekend. You made some terrific purchases. Must have been hard to make a 5-hour drive after all the activity you had on the weekend...I can understand you'd be very tired.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- what a steal, you lucky girl! Looks like you had a wonderful weekend -- that's perfect!

Vesuviusmama said...

Sounds like a great time, and what wonderful (and inexpensive) finds!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Nice job with the antiquing! Sounds like you had a terrific weekend.

Sara said...

Sounds like a fun time was had! I can't believe you picked up that typewriter for $20 bucks. I've typed on those - at my first office job! I wonder if my fingers are now strong enough (after all the years of playing with a keyboard on the computer) to strike the keys hard enough to make it type.