Friday, August 06, 2010

Le vitrail

According to Wikipedia, "le vitrail est une composition décorative formée de pièces de verre." Got it? Here's a hint:


Stained glass! We went to the Galeries Lafayette today to have a look around and gaze in awe at the stained glass ceiling.


This huge department store was opened in 1896; the art deco staircase and stained glass dome were added in 1905. It is the home of some of the world's most famous (and most expensive) labels - Chanel, Fendi, Prada, Jean-Paul Gaultier, etc.

You're probably wondering what the heck I was doing there? Ummm... just looking around. Honestly, the prices were unbelievable. I couldn't even afford their ugly clothes.


I felt a little out of my element, but I wanted Sandi to see it because when I was there last year I thought it was beautiful.

This year I just found it depressing. All that stuff, all that money. Who needs a 575€ pair of shoes anyway?

And their customer service? Absolutely terrible!


Oh well, we had a nice lunch at a little café nearby then jumped on the Métro to go back home.

We saw more stained glass at Saint-Severin church later on. I showed you the outside of this church (and its famous gargoyles) a few days ago, but I didn't actually see the inside of the church until this afternoon. My photos don't do it justice (but at least was able to take photos today... ahem...).








Just checking to see if you're paying attention. Yes, those are bones. The bones of Christian martyrs, although I'm not sure which martyrs.

If I ever need a quiet place to go and it's not a "park" day, Saint-Severin will be my choice. It's just around the corner from the apartment, there are hundreds of little nooks and crannies in which to hide away, and it's so peaceful. I also don't think they would kick me out because I could pretend to be praying.

Well, I'm off to bed, to dream about the boots that got away. I hope you don't have nightmares about bones...

Bonne nuit!

4 comments:

Quilting Lab said...

Beautiful pictures! Thanks again, Rachel for your tour!
Sherry

Pat said...

More wonderful photos...and who needs an expensive pair of shoes from that place?? Not YOU...because you got very nice shoes for LOT less money last week!!!

Unknown said...

please tell me you got me that Prada bag?

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

wonderful pictures. thanks for sharing with us!